Topics

Viral susceptibility panel

Haimel Matthias

Dear All,

Please let me send the following messages on behalf of Eleanor:

I hope you are all well. I was sorry to not be able to make your last workshop meeting in March. It sounds like the HPO annotation is moving along well.

I wanted to let you know about a publicly available research gene panel that Genomics England has been creating in PanelApp relating to a Viral susceptibility (https://panelapp.genomicsengland.co.uk/panels/111/), and to ask if any of you would be able to help in providing your expert opinions on the genes that are listed.

As background, Genomics England is sequencing genomes from patients who have tested positive for COVID-19 to contribute to research efforts in uncovering the genetic determinants that may explain why some people are have a more severe response after contracting the virus. As part of this initiative we have created a research gene panel of host genes involved in Viral susceptibility and this will be used to aid interpretation of patient genomes. Some background information of how we have sourced the genes can be found in the panel description box.

In PanelApp, genes are rated based on the level of evidence to support the association with the phenotype or disorder the panel is designed for.

To summarise our rating system for this research panel:

·         Green: Good evidence that variations in this gene could explain at least part of the severity of this infection.

·         Amber: Some evidence that variations in this gene could explain at least part of the severity of this infection.

·         Red: Limited evidence that variations in this gene could explain at least part of the severity of this infection.

Further information about the rating system can be found in the panel description (https://panelapp.genomicsengland.co.uk/panels/111/).

We would greatly appreciate if you could review our gene panel content, particularly to:

i) Add missing genes, particularly from SARS-CoV2 studies and publications, you feel should be part of the panel.

ii) Suggest whether Amber or Red genes should be promoted to Green status.

iii) Suggest whether Green genes are not appropriate for this panel, with evidence.

You can register as a PanelApp reviewer here: https://panelapp.genomicsengland.co.uk/accounts/registration/. Once registered, you can add reviews and evidence to the existing genes/entities on the panel, and add missing genes. Your name as a reviewer will be displayed in PanelApp, acting as a record of your contribution and expertise. If you have a large gene list to be added, you can email it to us at panelapp@....

We intend to finalise the panel by the middle of May, and we would really appreciate to get any input as soon as possible. Please do contact us if you have any questions about the panel or the review process (panelapp@....)

Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

With best wishes,

Eleanor Williams

Eleanor Williams PhD | Scientific Curator | Genomics England |  eleanor.williams@...| Address: Genomics England, Queen Mary University of London, Dawson Hall, London, EC1M 6BQ | https://panelapp.genomicsengland.co.uk Work days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday